The Capability Foundation is a local charity which helps the environment and people to make North East England the best place to be.
It is named after the North East landscape architect, Capability Brown, who lived 300 years ago and created some of the most-loved landscapes in the UK. Many of the places and gardens he planted did not mature until many decades after his death.
The Capability Foundation takes inspiration from this and recognises that the actions we take today will create the healthy and flourishing environment and economy of the North East and of the future.
The Capability Foundation exists to leave the world a better place by doing 3 things:
1. Support the work of a wide range of partners in the North East of England to make strategic, long term improvements to our environment to help:
- Achieve more and better connected habitats for wildlife to thrive
- Create new woodlands and forests
- Provide cleaner air and water
- Bring nature closer to the places where we live
- Grow sustainable businesses
2. Help local businesses and organisations to become Investors in the Environment and:
- Save money
- Reduce waste
- Improve energy and water use
- Be more sustainable
- Enhance their environmental legacy
3. Generate, manage and invest substantial funds through the Capability Foundation Trust fund which aims to:
- Provide a multi million pound environmental fund to support the environment for our children and grandchildren
- Achieve biodiversity growth (number and abundance of species) in the North East of England.
- Deliver environmental enhancements that have a measurable positive impact on the prosperity, health and wellbeing of our people.