Our Landscapes and Nature work is vital to reverse the decline in biodiversity we are experiencing. We need to act fast and collectively to stop the loss of habitats and wildlife, all of which are indicators of ecosystem health and provide us with essential services from nature i.e. clean air, water, soils
Many regeneration projects have originated from the vision and efforts of the environmental sector; the cleaning of the River Tyne, resulting in a rejuvenated Newcastle Quayside and restoring the Durham Heritage Coast following the activities of the extraction industries
North East England landscapes
We are very fortunate to live in an area of great contrast and diversity, ranging from wonderful coast lines to internationally important areas of magnesian limestone geology supporting unique grasslands. Each of these habitats is home to a variety of important and fascinating wildlife. It is because of this specialness that we work on projects to protect and enhance our habitats and wildlife for example:
- Strategically developing Heritage Lottery Funded Land of Oak & Iron and Bright Water landscape partnership projects
- Supporting the implementation of government initiatives by Local Authorities
- UK government Pollinator Strategy
- Defra 25 year plan
- Natural Capital
- Natural Capital Accounting
- Bring neglected woodland back into management
- Local resilience to climate change by linking habitats
Our aim for Landscapes and Nature
Increase our biodiversity resource by restoring the natural environment at a landscape scale to create a resilient and coherent ecological network in the North East.
- Work strategically to create a landscape scale project pipeline and support partners in development and delivery.
- Ensure enhanced green and blue infrastructure planning across North East England encouraging the use of GIS, SMART and 5G technologies.
- Complete a Natural Capital Investment Plan and a suite of Landscape Action Plans that will identify opportunities for investment in biodiversity and ecological connectivity and resilience to climate change.
- Support landowners and farmers to adopt and implement wildlife friendly management methods on some or all of their holdings.