What is the North East England Climate Coalition – NEECCo?
- We are a cross-sector coalition bringing the North East region together to tackle the climate emergency, to reverse ecological collapse and deliver a just transition. We aim to accelerate the movement towards zero emissions which, if achieved, will mean that the birthplace of climate change – the North East of England – will no longer be contributing emissions. We will instead become a leader in the response to the climate emergency.
- Our partners come from the public sector, private sector, voluntary sector, and individuals. The box below shows some of our current partners, and we hope that this launch will encourage very many more organisations and individuals to pledge their support
Focus over the next 6 months
- In June 2021 we will agree a new governance structure and resourcing structure for NEECCo. We are discussing with some of the key strategic partners what simple structure is most effective for agreeing decisions across the coalition – a group that is small enough to drive action, whilst inclusive enough to engage the very wide current and future membership of NEECCo. We are also discussing options for resourcing NEECCo with key partners.
- In July 2021 we aim to publish a Draft Regional Plan, for wide consultation
- For many months now we have had planning groups from across sectors working up proposals for how we might transform our work in the region. In July we will bring together this work into one document, with a range of delivery plans.
- We have been working on a set of indicators for how we might measure our progress Becoming England’s Greenest Region. We will establish a high-level evidence group to agree the measures we should best use, and to scrutinise our developing programme.
- We will convene a major consultation summit, and other ways of canvassing views on our draft plans
- We will work with Government and our partners to develop options for “test-bed” trials within the North East.
- We will work with investors to develop a portfolio of “shovel-ready” projects totalling at least £1.5 billion, with the intention of attracting significant new private investment into the region by October 2021
- We will work with each of our partners to help strengthen their existing strategies, and seek ways of increasing the effectiveness of those strategies through collective regional working
- In October 2021, just before the International Conference in Glasgow (COP 26) we will launch NEECCo’s Regional Plan, setting out our progress so far, setting out ambitious targets for the region, and describing how we intend to meet and beat these targets. We will work together as a region to monitor our shared progress every year between now and 2030
- We will share examples of good practice across the region. Our website neecco.org.uk shows some initial examples – we will build on this collection.
- We will engage in public debate on controversial issues – such as carbon capture and storage, and changes to farming practice
- In October 2021 we will use the COP 26 Conference to galvanise activity across the region on what we can do together to tackle the climate emergency.
Read NEECCo launch doc for more info